WHEN THE LOCOMOTIVE CAME.
of his office as constructing engineer, George E. Hoffman made
the contracts for the first Erie locomotives and cars. He first
got the estimate of Rogers, Ketchum & Grosvenor, of Paterson,
N. J., for the building of three eight-wheel locomotives, four
of them driving-wheels. That firm bid $9,000 for each locomotive,
and would take none of the Company's stock to apply on the payment.
Hoffman then went to Philadelphia and consulted the locomotive
builders of that city. William Norris was willing to make the
machines for $8,000 apiece, and to take $3,000 of the price of
each engine in Erie stockErie stock then being quoted at
a little better than nothing. Then the Paterson builders said
they would furnish the engines for $8,000, but the pay must be
all in cash. Hoffman gave Norris the contract. This was May 12,
1840. The locomotives were delivered to the Company at Piermont
the following December. They were shipped by way of the Raritan
Canal and Hudson River. One was called the "Eleazar Lord,"
one the " Piermont," and one the "Rockland,"
and were numbered 1, 2, and 3 respectively. The contractors had
been greatly delayed in putting down the superstructure for want
of facilities for transporting the timber and rails from Piermont
forward, and the engines were put at that work. No. 1 weighed
32,000 pounds, 22,000 pounds on the drivers; tender, 36,500; outside
connection; 13-inch cylinder, 20-inch stroke. The No. 2 was four
tons heavier than No. 1, but was similar otherwise. No. 3 was
a 16-ton engine, and like Nos. 1 and 2 in other respects. In the
spring of 1841 two more Norris engines came on the road, the "Orange"
and the "Ramapo." There is no record of their cost,
and as to the "Orange," or No. 4, there seems to be
no official record at all. The "Orange" became famous
in many ways on the eastern end of the railroad, from the opening
in 1841 to 1846, and later on western sections of the road. Her
first engineer was Joe Meginnes, and her career has no parallel
among the pioneer locomotives of the Erie or any other railroad.
Here are some historic incidents in that career.
AS A NEWSPAPER SPECIAL.In 1842 the regular mail route
between New York and Albany was a stage-coach line through the counties of the east side
of the Hudson. This was long before the day of the telegraph,
and the newspapers of that time had to depend on the mails or
special couriers in obtaining the news. Presidents' and governors'
messages were then considered the most important items of news
that a newspaper could give its readers, and in 1842 the New
York Sun resolved to place before its readers the message
of Governor Seward for that year in advance of any of its rival
journals. The New York Herald resolved that the Sun
should do no such thing, although the Sun had arranged
with the New York and Erie Railroad Company to aid it in the undertaking.
There was a stage line between Goshen and Albany, and it had hopes
of becoming the popular one to and from the capital, in connection
with the Erie. The Sun arranged to have a copy of the Governor's
message delivered to it by means of the railroad and the Goshen-Albany
route. The Herald believed a copy could be delivered in
New York sooner by a courier over the regular stage line east
of the Hudson, and arranged to have one delivered over that route.
The Railroad Company was intensely interested in the result of
this race, for if it proved that the distance between New York
and Albany could be made quicker by way of the railroad and the
Goshen and Albany stage route, the fact would go far toward making
that route the popular one, it was believed, largely to the benefit
of the railroad. Hence the management made every arrangement to
facilitate the delivery of the Governor's message.
Joe Meginnes, with his locomotive "Orange," was chosen
to make the flying trip between Goshen and Piermont with the message
when it should be delivered to him. The proprietor of the Albany
and Goshen stage line had provided reliable post-riders for this
occasion, and the best of horses at ten-mile relays, to carry
them to Goshen with all speed. The Hudson River line had made
similar arrangements for its route. When Governor Seward's message
was delivered to the Legislature at its meeting in January, 1842,
a copy of it was delivered to each of the post-riders, and away
they sped. Joe Meginnes had his engine all ready to start from
Goshen on the word. The "Orange" stood at the old Goshen
depot, puffing and snorting, as if with impatience. No post-rider
came. By and by there was danger of the engine's steam getting
low, and Joe ran her up and down the track, while his fireman
(Daniel Sutherland, of Owego, says he was the fireman) stoked
her and kept her boiler full of water. An hour passed, then the
sound of the horse's hoofs was heard on the hill, and a minute
later the panting horse came dashing up to the station. The message
was handed over to the custody of the engineer, and he pulled
out immediately for Piermont. "He pulled out so suddenly,"
says David D. Osmun, of Chester, N. Y., who was present on the
occasion, "that the locomotive actually rose from the rails,
like a rearing horse, and then came down upon them again with
a 'chug.'" Joe Meginnes always declared that he would have
arrived at Piermont at least a quarter of an hour sooner than
he did if Master Mechanic Brandt had not been on the engine with
him. Brandt was afraid to ride as fast as Joe was inclined to
run, and the engineer had to obey his superior officer.
A steamboat was waiting at Piermont, all ready to complete
the trip, and it was quickly steaming down the river. The wide
awake Sun editor had put aboard this boat a force of printers,
with type and tools, who were set at work immediately putting
the message in type. By the time the steamboat reached New York
the message was ready to go to press as soon as the type could
be carried to the Sun office and placed in the forms. The
result of all this haste and enterprise was that when the rider
reached New York, bearing the Herald's copy of the message,
the Sun had been an hour on the street with its reproduction
of the document. A great deal of money was won and lost on the
result of this great race. But the result of the race did not
have the effect of making the Albany and Goshen connections of
the Erie the popular route between New York and Albany, and the
stage line was soon abandoned.
Wilmot M. Vail, of Port Jervis, who, as a boy, was present
on the occasion, says that the engine that carried the message
from Goshen was the "Ramapo," and that the "Orange"
followed as a tender, the "Ramapo" being run by Engineer
Newell. At Sloatsburg the "Ramapo" burned out a flue
and was unable to proceed further. She was put on the Y at that
place, and the message was transferred to the "Orange,"
and Joe Meginnes took it on to Piermont.
TRAVELLING WEST AHEAD OF THE RAILROAD.Joe Meginnes ran
the "Orange" until 1846, when the new locomotive "Sussex," or No.
6, was given him. Joshua P. Martin came from the Lancaster and
Columbia Railroad in that year and took charge of the "Orange."
He ran her between Piermont and Otisville; and when the railroad
was opened to Port Jervis, ran to and from that place until the
summer of 1848, when the "Orange" was ordered to Binghamton
to help in the construction of the railroad east from that place.
Martin was ordered to Binghamton also, to take charge of her there.
He went by stage with his family and his fireman, John Meginnes,
Joe's brother. The "Orange" was forwarded by Hudson
River from Piermont to Albany, thence by Erie Canal to the junction
with the Chenango Canal, and down that canal to Binghamton. The
engine was five weeks on the way. After the railroad was finished
between Binghamton and Port Jervis, Martin and the "Orange"
helped build it on to Hornellsville, which place that pioneer
locomotive was the first to enter. The "Orange" was
sold to the Attica and Hornellsville Railroad Company in 1851,
and it was the only engine belonging to that company for more
than a year, doing all the work of construction between Hornellsville
Joshua P. Martin, who had charge of the "Orange"
during the construction period on the Susquehanna Division, had
his choice of divisions of the railroad to run on when the road
was opened to Dunkirk. He chose the Delaware Division, and made
his famous record with" Old 71." ("Administration
of Benjamin Loder," pages 98-101.) He was appointed master
mechanic of the Buffalo, Corning and New York Railroad (now Rochester
Division of the Erie) and later returned to the Erie as master
mechanic and engine despatcher between Dunkirk and Susquehanna.
When he was running on the Delaware Division, nearly fifty years
ago, Josh Martin was held up by the moon. The Delaware Division
is very crooked. One night, as Josh was booming along, the moon
was shining nearly at his back. A few minutes later he saw what
he thought was the headlight of a locomotive on the track directly
ahead of him. He shrieked for brakes and reversed his engine.
The train came to a stop. Then he discovered that he had turned
a sharp curve in the road and come face to face with the moon.
Martin died at Jersey City, February 24, 1883. His son, William
K., is an Erie engineer at Hornellsville.
In its issue of December 3, 1851, the Hornellsville Tribune
announced that "the locomotive 'Orange' has been placed
on the Hornellsville and Attica Railroad, preparatory to the opening
of the road from this place to Portageville, and has been put
in fine running condition by her engineer, W. J. Hackett."
The "Orange" drew the first train of passenger cars
on that railroad, January 22, 1852. June 5, 1852, she was taken
apart and ferried across the Genesee River at Portage, the bridge
across the great chasm being unfinished, and was set up on the
track on the opposite side of the river, June 7th, the track having
been laid part of the way to Warsaw. Thus the "Orange"
was the first locomotive to sound a whistle in that part of the
Genesee Valley, and she hauled the iron to complete the track
from Warsaw to Attica. More than ten years later, although in
1853 she was described as "worn out," she became the
pioneer locomotive on the Buffalo, Bradford and Pittsburg Railroad,
now the Bradford Division of the Erie. Since that time the historic
old engine seems to have been lost track of, the impression among
old railroad men being that she was taken to Susquehanna to be
broken up and sent to the scrap heap.
The first Erie engineers and freight conductors had a life
of much hardship in cold or stormy weather. There were no such
things as cabooses, and the locomotives had no cabs. The conductors
had to ride on the locomotives. There was no protection from snow,
or ice, or wind, or rain. It was not uncommon to see the engineer
covered with ice like a coat of mail. "Joe" Meginnes,
who, according to his daughter, Mrs. Mary B. Freeman, of New London,
Conn., was one of five engineers who were the first to run on
the Erie, was the first engineer to have a cabbed Erie engine.
Joe Meginnes, whose full name was Joseph Widrow Meginnes, came
to be known in after years as the "Dandy Engineer."
He had more the appearance of a man of letters than that of a
locomotive engineer. He was dainty in his dress, even on his engine,
and never appeared anywhere with oil or the grime of his engine
on his hands or face. He was a most competent man, and his instincts
were so fine that when, on a trip over the New Jersey Railroad,
he saw for the first time a locomotive with a cab, he became so
dissatisfied with his engine that he made a demand on the Company
for a cab to it. Time passing, and no cab having been provided
for Joe's engine, he called on General Superintendent H. C. Seymour
and informed him that unless the cab was furnished forthwith he
would leave the road. The locomotive was fitted with a cab without
delay, and that was the beginning of cabbed engines on the New
York and Erie Railroad. This was in 1848. Engineer Meginnes always
had his choice of locomotives from new ones that came on the road.
He quit the locomotive service in 1857 to take charge of the railroad
dining saloons at Port Jervis and Narrowsburg. He died at Port
Jervis in 1859, aged 42. He came to the Erie from the Philadelphia
and Reading Railroad. In 1846 the Company added locomotives No.
6 and No. 7 to the road. They were named the "Sussex"
and the "Sullivan." It was the idea of the Company to
name its locomotives after the counties through which the railroad
ran and those contiguous to it. Engines 6 and 7 were 20-ton machines,
Rogers make, with 5-foot drivers, and they were called the "giant
engines" by the amazed people along the line. Next year,
however, the Company put on two Baldwin locomotives, Nos. 8 and
9, and called the "New York" and the "Monroe,"
which were a greater curiosity. They had six 3-foot 9-inch drivers,
and tall, straight smokestacks. After that, as the railroad progressed
westward, new locomotives became frequent on the road, and of
patterns that would excite much wonder in the railroad engineer
of this generation. They were named for the counties until the
list of counties was exhausted, when the names of towns and railroad
officials were bestowed. But the locomotives early came to be
known by their numbers only, and every division of the road had
its favorite engine and engineers, whose memory and the memory
of whose exploits will be forever greenJohn Brandt, Jr.,
Joe Meginnes, James McAlpin, Isaac Lewis, Joshua P. Martin, Onderdonk
Merritt, Ben Hafner, W. C. Arnold, Garry Iseman, James McCann,
William Schrier, James Davis, Charles Rooney, Henry Hawks, Henry
Green, Sam Walker, William Thomas, Sam Wood, D.E. Carey, John
Donohue, Horatio G. Brooks, W. D. Hall, Reub Hamlet, Sam Veasey,
Captain York, Luther Pitcher, James Salmon, "Old Tripp,"
Ed Kent, A. N. Judd, Dan Kenyon, Mel Rose, Tom Tenant, William
Ingram, Sylvan Merritt, Sam Tyler, Lou Springstein, Nathaniel
Taft, Gad and William Lyman, Ellis Bart, "Old Drake,"
John Meginnes, Charles Mygatt, John Kinsella, Ben Gardiner, Dan
Shaver, Tim Murphy, Charley Coffey, Amos Beatty, Dave Henderson,
Jimmy Frantz, and the hosts of other brave and good men who mounted
the footboard when the Erie was still young (some of whom are
still on duty), and when the locomotive was part of the man and
the man part of the locomotive, seemingly with one soul, one heart,
The first master mechanic on the New York and Erie Railroad
was John Brandt. He was a German, and came from the Georgia Railroad.
He had been the superintendent of motive power on the Philadelphia
and Columbia Railroad in 1836, a Pennsylvania State road, and
the original portion of the present great Pennsylvania Railroad
system. From 1838 to I840 Brandt was superintendent of motive
power on the Georgia Railroad, which he left to enter the service
of the Erie in I840. He was one of the pioneer locomotive engineers
of this country. He brought with him to the Erie, or was the means
of their coming, the first engineers that ran on the Erie. Fred
Hamel was one of the earliest of the Erie engineers.
Of the engineers
who came on the Erie while there was still no railroad beyond
Port Jervis, only one is alive to-day, and he is still in the
service of the CompanyBenjamin Hafner, known the country
over among railroad men as the "Flying Dutchman." He
came on the Erie in 1848, having been nine years on the Baltimore
and Ohio. His first locomotive on the Erie was the "Susquehanna,"
a Rogers engine. There were then less than 200 men on the pay-roll
of the Company, and a majority of them were freight handlers at
Piermont. Ben Hafner left the Erie in 1854, and ran on the Illinois
Central Railroad, but returned to the Erie in 1858. He has been
buried under his locomotive five times so that it took hours to
dig him out, and he never got a scratch. Once, at Ramsey's, the
train running at fifty miles an hour, he collided with a coal
car. The train was behind time, and he had already made up forty
minutes between Port Jervis and that placea run of about
fifty-five miles. His engine turned upside down, and some of the
cars were wrecked Mrs. James Gordon Bennett was a passenger on
the train. A brakeman was badly hurt. Mrs. Bennett took up a collection
for him among the passengers, contributing liberally herself.
In 1869, while Jay Gould was President of the Erie, he ordered
a locomotive made at the Brooks Locomotive Works at Dunkirk, which
he named the George G. Barnard, after the famous judge of that
name. It was the handsomest locomotive ever made up to that time.
It was decorated by paintings in oil, on every spot where one
could be placed, by the late Jasper F. Crapsey, the artist. There
were fourteen coats of varnish on the boiler. Gould selected Ben
Hafner to be the engineer of the locomotive. The first trip Jay
Gould ever took behind this locomotive with Ben at the throttle
he was in a special car, bound for Susquehanna, 104 miles from
Port Jervis. Gould told Hafner to go pretty fast. He went so fast
that before they had gone many miles over the crooked Delaware
Division Gould sent his colored porter ahead to tell Ben to go
slower, much to the disgust of Ben.
Ben Hafner got the name of the "Flying Dutchman"
in this way: One day in the summer of 1871 No. 8 was late when
he took that train at Port Jervis. He had orders to make the run
to Jersey City in as short a time as he could. The distance was
eighty-nine miles. Hafner made the run in just two hours, including
seven stops, one of which was fourteen minutes at Turner's for
supper. The passengers were badly frightened at the speed of the
train. When the train reached Jersey, one of the passengers passed
Ben as he was leaning out of his cab, and yelled at him:
"Say, I'd rather sail in the 'Flying Dutchman' than ride
From that day to this Ben Hafner has been the "Flying
Dutchman" to all railroad men. In 1893 Hafner retired as
an engineer after more than half a century on a locomotive, and
since then has been depot master at Port Jervis. He is hale and
hearty at seventy-six.
When the railroad was opened to Dunkirk in 1851, there were
locomotives on the line of the makes of Norris, Rogers, Baldwin,
Swinburne, the Boston Locomotive Works, Taunton Locomotive Works,
the Amoskeag Co., and Ross Winans. There were two of these latter,
Nos. 88 and 89, intended for freight, and were remarkable in having
eight 3-foot 7-inch drivers. A historic Erie locomotive of the
period previous to the opening to Dunkirk was the No. 90, named
"The Dunkirk." It was one of the Hinkley, or Boston,
locomotives. They were mostly hook-motion, with independent cutoff.
This locomotive was brought from Boston in the fall of 1850, by
Horatio G. Brooks. It was transported on a vessel to New York,
and from there sent up the Hudson River to Albany, thence to Buffalo
on a boat on the Erie Canal, and from Buffalo to Dunkirk on the
schooner "Commodore Chauncey." The engine was landed
at the Erie dock and depot at the foot of what is now Washington
Avenue, Dunkirk, November 7, 1850. It was used in the construction
of the road from Dunkirk east, and after the road was open was
run by Brooks on a regular passenger train on the Western Division.
Brooks was the first engineer on that division. He became superintendent
of it, and afterward master mechanic of the entire line. He suggested,
while holding that office, many of the improvements that began
to be made during the administration of R. H. Berdell. In 1868,
when the Erie abandoned its shops at Dunkirk, he founded the Brooks
Locomotive Works, and was president of that company at the time
of his death, April 21, 1887.
Among the pioneer
engineers who came to the Erie in 1851 was William D. Hall, who
began his railroad life as fireman on the Boston and Maine Railroad
in 1843, when he was twenty years old, having served two years
in the machine shop of the Boston and Providence Railroad. In
less than a year he was promoted to be an engineer. He came to
the Erie in February, 1851, and ran a train between Hornellsville
and Cuba. May 5, 1851, he took the special car containing the
officers and Directors of the Company from Hornellsville to Dunkirk,
this being the first car through from Piermont to Dunkirk. He
was engineer over the Western Division of the second section of
the great excursion train that celebrated the opening of the railroad,
May 15, 1851, his engine being a Hinkley, No. 99. He ran that
engine on a regular passenger train. between Hornellsville and
Dunkirk until 1856, when he quit the Erie service, two weeks before
the big strike. He has been running an engine on the New York
Central twenty-two years, and is still in the service, at seventy-six
years old, at Buffalo. He ran the first link-motion locomotive
ever built, and has run engines built by every locomotive builder
in the United States.
Another of the engineers who came from the Boston and Maine
Railroad was Charles H. Sherman, where he had run two years as
engineer. He was one of the engineers who came on the road at
the solicitation of Superintendent Charles Minot, while the Western
Division was being finished. Sherman was the engineer of the locomotive
that hauled the first section of the great excursion train from
Hornellsville to Dunkirk on the opening of the railroad, May 15,
1851. In 1852 he became engine despatcher at Dunkirk, and remained
as such seventeen years. He was afterward travelling foreman and
road inspector, and later, and until his death in 1897, foreman
of the engine house at Dunkirk.
There are two
engineers who came on the Erie from the Boston and Maine Railroad
in 1851, still in active service on the Western Division, where
they have been running nearly fifty years. They are David E. Carey
and Samuel Veazey, of Hornellsville. Both are long past three-score
years and ten, with clean records, and apparently as well equipped
for service as they were when they began. W. A. Kimball, who ran
the first train between Hornellsville and Cuba, is still living
at that place, but he retired from railroad service years ago.
Among the curious locomotives that came on the road in 1851,
(July) were two from the Boston Locomotive Works, two single-driver
engines, designed for speedNos. 87 and 112. They were totally
different in action. The former was a mass of machinery; hookmotion,
and independent variable cut-off. The latter was a full crank,
direct-acting, without rocker arm; a link-motion. With a train
suitable to their capacity, they were very quick, not costly to
maintain, and easy on the track. The engineers took great pride
in these machines, which were put in use upon the Susquehanna
Division. Luther Pitcher had charge of No. 112, and John Donohue
of No. 87. In the light of the present it was folly to purchase
such motive power, not to mention the purchase of the two engines
nicknamed "Plank Roads," with seven-foot drivers, and
cylinders 15 x 20, outside-connected, and firebox not much larger
than an ordinary cooking range. The cylinders were placed aft
of the smoke arch and steam pipe, out of doors, between the dome
and steam-chest. There was a running board from the back end of
the footboard entirely around to the other side. They were built
by Norris, and came on the road in the winter of 1851. They were
Nos. 84 and 85. With two or three coaches, on the Susquehanna
Division, after getting under headway, the engineers would make
good time with these; but it took a mile start to get them under
way. They were a failure, of course. No engineer wanted to run
them, and the last one in train service (No. 84), on its very
last trip, was ripped to pieces by Mike Barnwell, its engineer,
who, it was said, stopped his train just after passing Gulf Summit,
west bound, took a wrench and loosened up set-screws and pins,
and whistled off brakes, whereupon the whole of her machinery
was cleaned off. The boiler and one pair of drivers are in use
at the Susquehanna shops as stationary poweror were in such
use a few years ago. May 17, 1853, the Cincinnati Express, drawn
by No. 84, made the run from Susquehanna to Hornellsville, 145
miles, in 161 minutes, which beat the record up to that time.
The No. 85 was used as a switching engine in the Port Jervis yard
for several years, but went to the scrap heap in the '60s.
From 1851 on, the Essex Company, Danforth, Cook & Co.,
the New Jersey Locomotive and Machine Co., Seth Wilmarth (who
made twenty thirty-five-ton engines for the Company in 1854, Nos.
167 to 187), and the Taunton Locomotive Works, added their styles
to the lot; while later came the Grant, Brooks, and other makes
to jumble the equipment, so that in 1870 there were eighty-five
Running on freight trains between Suffern and Jersey City,
at the time the Erie began to run between those points, in 1851,
were two of the original type of locomotives, named the "Whistler"
and "McNeal." They were hook-motion, single driver,
and worked steam at full stroke, no "cut-off." The steam-chests
and slide-valves were perpendicular between the cylinders. There
was an extension on the forward end of the valve yoke, which came
through the steam-chest and ran into a guide. The bell was on
the back end of the boiler, inside the cab, and was without a
"clapper," being operated by strokes of a soft hammer
in the hands of the engineer. The fuel used was wood, and was
cut in about eight-inch lengths. The heating surface, or firebox,
was very small, so that if the engineer had to drop down a grade
and rise another, he would stop at the top of the hill, put in
a good fire, spread his slide-valves so as to allow steam to pass
through the cylinders and create artificial draught to ignite
the fuel, and when sufficient steam was generated, open his "butterfly"
throttle-valve, rush down the one hill and probably just raise
the other, accomplishing wonderful results for that day. The freight
cars were four-wheeled and barn-door style, with a bar across
The story of how Rogers engine, "No. 100," failed
to make a record for herself and her engineer, Gad Lyman, on the
historical 14th and 5th of May, 1851, when the Erie was opened
to Dunkirk, is told on preceding pages ("Administration of
Benjamin Loder," pages 98 to 100). Gad Lyman was so much
disappointed and chagrined over the failure of his favorite on
that occasion that he soon afterward quit the Erie's service.
The "100" was taken in charge by Gad Lyman's brother
William, who ran her on the Eastern Division until April 13, 1852,
when, while she was making her stop at Chester, the crown sheet
blew out with frightful results. The locomotive was thrown completely
over backward and rolled down an embankment. The fireman, Robert
Irving, was in the tank at the time and was blown more than fifty
feet away. He was instantly killed. Engineer Lyman was buried
in the wreck. His leg was cut off by the latch of the door of
the fire-box. He lived but a short time. The headlight of the
locomotive was picked up more than an eighth of a mile distant.
This explosion was one of the first of the kind in this country.
The Rogers Locomotive Works called in all their engines of that
make and strengthened their crown sheets.
In March, 1858, an experiment was made on the Erie with Cumberland
(soft) coal as a substitute for wood as fuel for locomotives.
Although it was reported that the experiment showed a saving of
forty-eight per cent. in cost of fuel, no movement was made toward
adopting the substitute until December, 1861, when Hinkley engine
"99," Taunton engine "117," and Rogers "64"
were rebuilt to burn coal, and this was the beginning of coal-burning
locomotives on the Erie for regular service. It was not until
1872, however, that coal entirely replaced wood on the road, and
if an engineer of the present generation of Erie trainmen should
by any circumstance happen to see one of the old wood-burners,
even of the most modern type, he would wonder at it; and what
would be the speech of one of the dead and gone Erie engineers
who passed their days on the cabless, pilotless machines that
first came on the Erie, if he might come back and see the marvellous
and monster Erie engines of to-day?
For several years of its later-day operations the Erie has
had in use a type of remarkably large engines. The class S engines
weigh 200,550 pounds each. They are used for hauling freight trains
on the Susquehanna Division. At the time of the World's Fair this
was the largest style of engine built.
In 1899 the Company placed on the road what are claimed to
be the fastest locomotives in any service. They are of the compound
passenger Wootten Atlantic type. They are used for hauling the
fast mail and express trains, and for the passenger service over
two or more divisions between New York and Chicago, and were designed
by A. E. Mitchell, superintendent of motive power of the Erie.
The railroad men claim that the trains have made over eighty-two
miles an hour, with six vestibuled cars. The trains have made
an average of better than sixty miles an hour. These engines were
built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, of Philadelphia.
The engines are not as heavy as the former modern engines,
and are much neater in appearance. The cab is about half way back
on the boiler, making it near the centre of the engine. The fireman
remains behind on the tender, and can at all times see the engineer
at his post in the cab. The total weight of these engines is 151,240
pounds. They have 76-inch drivers. The weight on the drivers is
81,320, and on the trailing wheels 30,710 pounds. The cylinders
are 13 x 26 inches in diameter and 26 inch stroke.
Erie Page | Stories Page
| Contents Page